- Chiropody Treatments: Corns and calluses treatments.
- Podiatry Treatments: GAIT analysis, biomechanical assessment and prescribed orthotics with clinical and computerized assessment.
- Nail Surgery: Under local anaesthetic, partial or total nail removal, mainly designed for ingrown toe nails. In certain circumstances, despite conservative treatment, some toenails may require to be removed. Podiatrists have developed highly successful techniques to treat all types of painful nail conditions from nails that are ingrown, involuted, infected, deformed (abnormal) shape and or with fungal infection
- Dry Needling:The latest treatment for verrucas under local anaesthetic. Dry needling is an innovative and highly effective treatment for Verrucas which just will not go away.
Common verruca treatments, such as Cryotherapy (freezing), or chemical caustics work by creating a thermal or chemical burn in and around the verruca. This aims to resolve the verruca by creating inflammation and swelling around the area, thereby provoking an immune system response
- Cryotherapy: An efficient treatment for verrucas
- Diabetic Foot assessment: Vascular assessment by Doppler (ultrasound) and neurological assessment.
- Fungal Nail treatment: Expert assessment to evaluate the best treatment for onychomycosis
CHIROPODY is the general foot care treatment when nail and skin are assessed and treated. All Podiatrist at the Light Centre are self-employed and practice on specific days. Please contact them directly for appointments or enquiries using the numbers below.
Nicolas Ivanoff (Fridays) Tel: 0207 099 6657
Nail treatment: Trimming nails, prevention of problems such as ingrown toenail and treatment of fungal infection. We have invested in the latest technology of a water spray drill to ensure patients experience a maximum of comfort and hygiene during the trimming of the nail.
Skin treatment: treating skin disorders, removing the dead skin cells (i.e. calluses, corns, cracked heels), restoring the original elasticity of the skin, caring for medical concerns such as verrucas, athletes foot or infected wounds. Skin is treated using blades and a water spray drill. Chiropody sessions can be arranged from 30 minutes or more, depending on your foot condition. Hygiene is of great importance for all treatments, tools are sterilized by Vacuum Autoclave and individually packed to ensure the highest standard of sterilization.
SOME FOOT FACTS
In each foot you have 26 bones,107 ligaments and 19 muscles. This means that 25% of the bones of your body are located in your feet. The average person will walk over 100,000 miles in a lifetime (more than four trips around the world) or the equivalent of 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day. With each step the impact from the ground is making a wave which travels up the leg at 200km/h (about 124mph) from joint to joint (ankle, knee, hip and spine).
Most of us experience pain in our feet because of a faulty biomechanic (the way your feet function). We will assess your Gait and test your feet and lower limbs in order to correct or compensate this imbalance. To help us with our assessment we use a computerized pressure platform to obtain an image of the impact of your feet on the ground and the distribution of the pressure.
Once we have determined what area needs to be helped, we make casts of your feet to manufacture custom made orthotics. A custom made orthotic is a device to align the foot and ankle into the most anatomically efficient position. They look like insoles but are biomechanical medical appliances that are custom made to correct your specific imbalance. Custom orthotics work on your feet much like glasses work on your eyes, they reduce stress and strain on your body by bringing your feet into proper alignment. They help to re-align the foot by redirecting and reducing certain motion that takes place during the Gait cycle. They fit into your shoes as comfortably as an insole but they have the advantage of having been made from precise imprints of your feet.
Your set of orthotics will be manufactured by myself in my lab. This reduce the time of manufacturing and amending them if necessary. Most of podiatrist nowadays outsource the manufacturing of orthotics but we prefer to control the full process of your orthotics to deliver the highest standards your feet deserve.
Your set of orthotics will be generally flexible from shoes to shoes, giving you the chance to wear them in most of your shoes. As much as we do not use the same kind of shoes for different activities, it might be interesting (but not always necessary) to have a specific set of orthotics for a specific activity (ie: running, playing tennis, hiking etc).